Had miscarriage. Missing period. Have swollen stomach, pain between ribs. What is the problem?

I miscarried in december...passed something the size of the palm of my hand in january....2 day spot in feb. no period in swollen like distended stomach....then started april 10th...while on period swelling goes down..then immediately comes back. having spazims right under/ between ribs...feeling like my ribs are strectching apart. painful. please help. went to e.r. and its not my bowels. only one post partum exam in january and he didn't even use a spec.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 2 hours later

I would like to know how much did you bleed this time during your periods and was it free flow or clots,and was it fresh blood or altered color.

The above questions would give me an idea whether the abortion was complete or are there retained bits of conception left which might lead to infection and the above mentioned symptoms

One more thing i would like to know is whether the abortion was medically induced or surgical clearance done like D&C or D&E.

I would like to advice you to go for a sonography of pelvis,for the confirmation of completeness of abortion.

The spasm between the ribs which you describe might just be coincidental like a muscle pull or stretch, so you can just try it with muscle relaxants or pain killers for a day or two, as unless the infection is wide spread it is less likely to give you the symptoms you describe.
But infection cannot be ruled out as specially when you have previous history of freezing and laser done.

I would advice you to get back with the answers and the report of sonography.

Don't worry, try out with the muscle relaxants for a few days and you will be relieved of your symptoms.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani
Follow-up: Had miscarriage. Missing period. Have swollen stomach, pain between ribs. What is the problem? 8 hours later
miscarried dec 15th at 8 1/2 weeks naturally. no d and c done.bled 2 days mild.
january 15th had mild bleeding and passed tissue the size of palm. red blood XXXXXXX 20th saw doc for post partum. no speculaum, no pelvic no swab. told me flase pregnancy probably and that what i passed was prob. a membrane.
feb 2 day spot. increased "swelling" more pressure on ribs.light pink brown.
march no period increased pain, fatigue, feels like ribs are being pushed outward.
march 27th went to e.r. and drank the XXXXXXX no problems with bowels. blood test say no infection.
April spot 10th brown/pink til 14th-18 heavy. pressure decreases during heavy period.
had period while preg. took preg test whole time took 8 weeks to show positive.
could i still be pregnant with no hcg and having period? barely showed hcg then declined til gone at 2 months preg. how is it possible to be that far along and tests not pick up on it?
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 9 hours later

I don't think you can be pregnant still, as you are in menses almost every month since after your miscarriage, the irregularity in the bleeding pattern can be due to hormonal imbalance.

Pregnancy test can be positive for quite some time after the miscarriage until the hormone levels come down, so not to worry about that

Try out with muscle relaxants and you will feel better, and get back with the pelvic sonography report.

Do not worry everything would be fine.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani