Had miscarriage. Back pain, stiff legs, hurting to bend or move. Is this normal?

I suffered a miscarriage on Monday in hospital but lost absolutely loads of blood. They had said i had passed the sac monday morning and claimed the scan showed nothing left. Later that day after they were going to discharge me, i passed it after a lot of pain and bleeding.
Since then i have had quite bad back pain and very stiff feeling legs which hurt to bend or move. I just wanted to know if this was normal.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 37 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern and feel sorry about what has happened.

I do not see any reason to worry for the problem that you have.

This kind of backache and generalized aches or weakness is common after such incidence.

Once ultrasound has confirmed that uterine cavity is empty, there is nothing to worry.

I hope the doctor at the time of discharge should have given some analgesics for this pain and discomfort that you have.

Some form of discharge along with blood will also continue for about a week or so. This also can lead to some mild backache. Again due to blood loss your haemoglobin must have gone down, which also leads to this kind of leg pain and weakness.

Please do following which should help.

>Take proper rest
>Take good healthy diet, more of salads and fruits. Take more of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, milk and milk products.
>Drink plenty of liquids
>Take medicines as advised.

Things should be fine in a week or so. Still if the pain is very concerning please talk to your doctor.

After some time, please discuss with your doctor about possible reasons for miscarriage. He may advise some investigation to know the cause.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.