Had miscarriage. Avoiding contraceptives that may risk the embryo. How can I resist malaria?

Question
Hello, I am 36 and have just had a misscarriage at 3 months. I am not using contraception, nor will I. I am going to India with my partner, and don't want to take anything that wil effect my chances, or risk the embryo if I do get pregnant. Equally, I don't want to get Malaria - please advise!
Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 minutes later
Ideally women who are likely to become pregnant should avoid travel to such areas.
Still the chemotherapeutic agents that will be safe for you are chloroquine and proguanil.
Mefloquine and doxycycline are contraindicated in such cases.
It is advisable to use these drugs only after a doctor’s prescription. It is not to be taken without a medical supervision. Your doctor may decide that the benefits outweigh the risks in individual circumstances and after a careful assessment of your specific health situation can prescribe these.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Had miscarriage. Avoiding contraceptives that may risk the embryo. How can I resist malaria? 33 minutes later
Many thanks for your reply.
So, in your opinion, I SHOULD take malaria tablets?
Which ones have no risk to pregnancy or getting pregnant, sorry I didn't totally understand...

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.

Yes malaria prophylaxis is needed as the disease itself is associated with more XXXXXXX complications.
You can take chloroquine and proguanil after consulting with your gynecologist.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.

Wishing you a happy journey.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had miscarriage. Avoiding contraceptives that may risk the embryo. How can I resist malaria? 8 hours later
I won't have time time to consult a gynaecologist which is why I'm writing to you.
My only way is to buy malaria tablets over the counter in the chemist but I want to know it's safe to do so.

Please advise

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks again.

It is safe to take chloroquine for you. You do need a prophylaxis if you cannot avoid going there.

You can consult your primary physician for the required dosage schedule.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further queries.

Take care and Regards