Had mirena iud inserted in but. Taking birth control pills and bleeding during sex. Done with cone biopsy and showing positive for HPV. Suggestions?

hi i had a mirena iud inserted in may but bled non stop for 3 month so decided to have it removed, i had it removed monday the 5th of August and since i then i bled for 5 days really strong bleeding, thursday the 8th i started usin birth control pills and monday the 12th my bleeding stopped. However since tuesday have been having red spots in my discharge and a little bleeding during sex. Mostly my discharge is white and brown..i normallty wouldnt be concerned but i have had a cone biopsy 2 years ago . my last visit said normal cells but positive for high risk hpv so now i am wondering if the discharge and is from my cervix and due to cell changes or is it just hormones and chaos from iud and pills.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be cervical or uterine problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Majken,
Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX After analyzing your symptoms, continuous bleeding even on Mirena needs thorough evaluation, because levonorgestral IUD(i.e. Mirena) causes endometrial atrophy(inner lining of uterus), but in your case there is continuos bleeding.
This is usually due to uterus problem if your previous continuous bleeding was heavy, because of thickened endometrial lining. In that case you need a Pelvic scan(to check endometrial thickness and any ovarian pathology) also you should undergone a ENDOMETRIAL BIOPSY(where small uterus inner lining is sent for histopathology) to rule out any hyperplasia or atypia if the endometrial thickness is high.
Currently as your having post menstrual spotting and post coital bleed, cervical pathology cannot be ruled out completely, keeping in mind previous history of high risk HPV and cone biopsy.
I suggest you to get a pelvic examination(per speculum) also thorough COLPOSCOPIC examination and biopsy of abnormal areas to rule out any lesions of cervix.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile