Had mirena inserted. Getting regular period with cramp. Is this normal?

Mar 2016

Hi I have had a mirena for three years and have just started getting a regular period every month. is this normal? Im back to getting bad cramps. Blood flow is still minimal tho. Have had a sore back as well
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query.

Yes, this is normal to get a regular period every month following inserting mirena, which is levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system.

There are certain possibilities of bad cramp like using mirena for long time associated with pelvic infection, asymptomatic pathology if any.

To confirm diagnosis, you should undergo one ultrasound scan along with urine routine & microscopic examination. Treatment depends on etiologic factor. Short course of antibiotic therapy & anti spasmodic medication are quite helpful.

Low blood flow during period may be due to stress/ psychological factor, hormonal imbalance or thyroid problem. Hormone assay rules out the possible factor. You need to take good hematinics or iron supplement with diet.

For low back pain, you may use muscle relaxant gel or hot water bag to get some relief.

Periodic healths check up, proper placing of mirena should be ensured, and a gynecologist can help you regarding this. So please consult with him/her.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen.