Had mirena coil fitted. Started feeling tired, headache and having brown discharge. Should I be worried?

Hi I had my second mirena coil fitted in 2008. For about 4 months I have been having headaches (something I have never suffered from) been very tired and have brown/black discharge? I am not sexually active. I also have pain on pressing my stomach.
Posted Wed, 21 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 50 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question today.

Given that you previously had a Mirena IUD (and I will assume without symptoms like you are describing) and now with a re-insertion are experiencing some symptoms that might be of concern (abnormal discharge, pelvic pain) it would be worth a visit to your doctor to rule out:

1. Infection
2. Malposition of the IUD itself

This should be done with exam AND ultrasound. As far as the headaches go, this could be related to the IUD but not a common symptom. If the IUD was in the proper location, I would try to encourage you to treat the headache and see if this is less of an issue in the next month or so.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have followup questions!