Had mild chest pain. After ECG, found Acute MI and blockage 70%. Diagnosed diabetic. Prescribed Galvusmet. Medication life long?

Question
Hello Doctor Good Morning.
My Name is XXXXX age - 42 Yrs. Recently I had a mild chest pain & doctor after ECG had found Acute MI and a blockage of 70% for which they have put a Stent. During that period they had done HbA1C test & found that the reading was 7.7, subsequently with in a month it has come down to 6.7 (yesterday's reading). Stent was put on 29th June-13. Now after check ups doctor told me that I am diabetic and suggested Galvusmet in the mornimg and cetaphin in the night.
Is this the right medication am I taking? What is that I should do for bringing my HbA1c below 6 & if I bring this below 6, can I stop the medication. Or Should I take the medicines life long.
Please advise.
Thanking you in anticipation.
XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Diabetes

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 hours later
Thanks for writing in. You have been prescribed with good drugs. You have to get your A1c below 6.5 not less than 6. once this is achieved medicines can be tapered off. If 2-3 months after dosage is reduced, A1c is still less than 6.5, drugs can then be stopped and blood glucose and A1c will have to be checked every 3 months. As long as A1c is less than 6.5 andblood glucose values are normal medicines are not required. If they are not, you need to take them .Diabetes is a chronic progressive disorder and most patients will ultimately require treatment.
Hope this helps
Shivaprasad