Ask a Urologist   »  

Had middle back pain with small trace of blood in urine and crystals. Done urine test. Findings?

just received test results back from a urine sample. says there are rare benign urothelial cells. I've had middle back pain for about a month. there was a small trace of blood in my urine and crystals.

what does this mean
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thank you for sending in your query.

The meaning of the various findings in your urine report is as follows:

1) Rare urothelial cells: These cells line the urinary tract and are often shed into the urine.They are usually of little clinical significance or as the term says "benign". I would not worry too much about this finding.

2) Trace blood in urine: This has to be confirmed by repeating the test and also doing a urine microscopy to see the number of Red blood cells in urine. If number of RBCs is > 5/ hpf then this is abnormal.

In such cases the posiibilities are infections, kidney or bladder stones, intrinsic diseases of the kidney like IgA disease or cancer of the urinary tract.
If your urine report is persistently positive for blood then I would investigate it further starting off with an Ultrasound of the Kidneys and bladder.

3) Crystals in urine: You did not mention the type of crystals (for eg. oxalate, urate etc). Crystals can again be a benign finding (often reflecting on your dietary habits). However if a person has kidney stones then they might give a clue to the stone composition.
So if you had any colicky pain or lower abdominal pain we could get an Ultrasound to rule out any kidney or bladder stones.

I do not think that your symptoms of low back pain can be linked to the urinary findings.

I hope this was helpful.
Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Aditya Bhabhe