Had microdiscectomy, after reducing medicine feel sciatica pain in hip and lower leg. Cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Am now 22 days post op for microdiscectomy of l4-l5 right side and after reducing my meds I now still feeling the sciatica pain in my hip and lower leg on right side. Could that nerve still be traumatized and will take more time to quite hurting?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It will take 8-12 weeks to heal

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

After microdiscectomy , it will take 8-12 weeks to heal the traumatized nerve . Do not worry, sciatica pain will gradually weans off.
Do physiotherapy exercises that strengthen your back. Proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: Had microdiscectomy, after reducing medicine feel sciatica pain in hip and lower leg. Cause? 1 hour later
How soon after microdiscectomy should one generally start physical therapy or these exercises? So far I have just been told to do lots of walking.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
usually 2 to 3 weeks after surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

After the soft tissue has healed (usually 2 to 3 weeks after surgery), it is important to start back strengthening exercises.