Had metal on metal hip replacement surgery and tested high for chromium and cobalt. Metallosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had metal on metal hip replacement surgery in 2007 and subsequently have tested high on both chromium and cobalt levels in the blood. Chromium came back at 3.4 and cobalt at 2.7. Do I have metallosis?
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Metallosis is a clinical diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:

Mean serum cobalt level of 0.24 µg/L - highest safe level: 5 µg/L
Mean serum chromium level of 0.28 µg/L highest safe level: 17 µg/L for chromium in blood
So definitely there are increase levels in your blood but this does not mean its metallosis.

The symptoms of metallosis include pain, a sense of instability, and increasing noise coming from the hip. The symptoms evolve over several months and are typically progressive. Metallosis symptoms always present within the first 4 years after surgery.
So if you are having such symptoms then you are having metallosis.

There is no medical treatment for removing metal particles. If metallosis is clinically present then revision surgery should be thought for.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.