Had mesh inguinal repair. Having pain in both hernias and spinal stenosis in lower back. What is the problem?

I am 71 and had mesh linguinal reapir last Oct 11/11. No pain, everything was fine until about March of this year. I now have pain where both hernias are before , during or after having a b/m. The left side was repaired. There was no pain before even with the left side having a buldge. Sometimes this pain can be excruciating. The pain doesn't last long, From being about a 15 on a scale of 1-10 it will go down to 2-3. I have vicadin which is usless, so have been using 2 of my tens unit pads on either side for several hours. I saw a surgeon that does hernias last Monday and my spine dr. Friday since I have spinal stenosis in my lower back. Both said they didn't know what the problem. My next step is to see my G.I. dr. But something is not right.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

I understand how debilitating pain can be, I would like to know more about certain things in order to come to a better conclusion

1. What is the type of pain? For eg pricking, dull aching, catching, etc
2. Does the pain reduce specifically after a b/m?
3. Have you been passing motion without difficulty? or is it hard?
4. Was any work up done for the pain by the two doctors? please attach or type out the reports if you can

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Had mesh inguinal repair. Having pain in both hernias and spinal stenosis in lower back. What is the problem? 15 minutes later
pain is like a knife

pain goes down to about a 2/3 after b.m

no problem I have been having some diarhea also in the past month

no they didn't. But my pcp did urine and stool culture. both negative. The spine dr. said after I see my G.I. dr he would like to do an x-ray of my back
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 12 minutes later

Thanks for replying

A knife life pain in the left iliac fossa which relieves after a bowel movement points towards an infection of the descending colon.
You need to be put on antibiotics like ciprofloxacin and tinidazole combination. Along with that you need to be put pro biotics like sporolac for a month.
The ideal pain killer would be an antispasmodic like Hyoscine butyl bromide as an SOS basis.
Please approach a gastroenterologist for it, this pain does not look like it has anything to do with the hernia surgery

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries I will be happy to reply

I wish you a speedy recovery