Had melanoma removed from arm. Black spots appeared under thumbnail. Worisome

Hi I had a melanoma on arm eight years ago removed. I have just noticed a tiny pin head black spot which appears to be under thumb nail and I am panicking.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 41 minutes later

A new lesion in your body or an old lesion changing shape/size /form should always be examined by a dermatologist.

If you have previous history of melanoma or a family history of melanoma, the chances of having melanoma are more.

You should visit your dermatologist for an examination with a dermascope to rule out any possibility of a melanoma. Thereafter, you should be under a follow up and do regular self examination to detect any changes.

Hope this is helpful. Will be happy to answer any follow up questions you have.

Best Wishes,