Had meatotomy for meatal stenosis. Still experience frequent urination and split urine stream. Normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I had a meatotomy 5 days ago for meatal stenosis. I am still experience frequent urination and split urine stream. Is this common?
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes It is common.

Detailed Answer:

You have undergone meatotomy for meatal stenosis and facing problem related to your urination and urine stream.

It is common to have edema and inflammation at the site of any surgery and takes 10 days for inflammation to subside and for complete recovery.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics and anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily to fasten the recovery,

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Had meatotomy for meatal stenosis. Still experience frequent urination and split urine stream. Normal? 1 hour later
I had prostatectomy in March 2013. Catheter was left in for 18 days. What is likelihood that this may have caused the meatal stenosis/ urethral stricture?

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is possible to be due to catheterization.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.

It is possible that you have developed Meatal stenosis or stricture due to long term cauterization that you had in 2011. However this will need to be confirmed by a radiological test called RetrogradeCystoUrethrogram.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and further management.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.