Had mastoidectomy done. Experiencing severe pain in ear. How to get relief?

ENT Specialist
Question
I had a mastoidectomy in my left ear 6 years ago and it has been alright all this time and i get regular cleaning and polyp removals. last night all of a sudden i have this excruciating pain in the same ear. it is sore to the touch around and in the ear and it is very very painful. I cannot get an appointment with an ENT specialist for a few weeks and i cant figure out what to do or what it is.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 28 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regaring excruciating pain in your left ear which had already been operated for mastoidectomy operation about 6 years bcck.

The possibilities of such a severe pain in your left ear which had been operated 6 years back are as under-

(a) Furunculosis in external ear.

(b) Fungal infection (Otomycosis) in ear.

(c) Acute otitis media due to cold or sore throat.

(d) If previously it had been operated for cholesteatoma, than recurrence of same may be there.

Actual picture will be clear after examination but till you are waiting for your ENT doctor, in the meanwhile as an emergency you may take -

(a) Antibiotic.

(b) Analgesic & anti inflammatory.

(c) Decongestant and steam inhalation.

I hope this will help you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had mastoidectomy done. Experiencing severe pain in ear. How to get relief? 6 minutes later
Thank you for your reply doctor. The pain feels like my ear is about to explode. its like there is so much pressure which is cause in the pain but it is stemming from deep inside my ear. I took a Combiflam, about 3 hours ago but that dint seem to help. my ENT surgeon is in India and the ENT doctor i saw here (USA) said i needed to go to a surgeon due to the anatomy of my ear being different but the earliest available appointment i can get is on the 25th of April. Do you know of any over the counter medication i could get since i would need a prescription for antibiotics which i cant get till i see the doctor on the 25th. the pain is bad enough that i have not been able to sleep.

Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for reconsultation.

Madam

The character of pain as you are telling is appears to be deep seated and there may be possibility of Mastioditis again or if it is cholesteatoma than associated abscess may be there. In such condition antibiotic AMOXICILLIN (500 mg) thrice a day will help you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Had mastoidectomy done. Experiencing severe pain in ear. How to get relief? 3 minutes later
I currently have Cifrin on me, will that help?

Hello

Thanks for recalling.

Madam.

You may take this antibiotic.

Regards.