Had massive heart attack. Heart muscle damaged. What do you think the prognosis is?

Relation had massive heart attack after one mild one, 86 year old bad stroke 25 years ago, We were told she could die when she had the massive heart attack and were called out in the middle of the night, she has pulled through, they would not put stent because of complications and are saying her heart muscle is damaged. They have sent her back to care home after 4 days and say if she has another heart attack it will take her, all they have done is increase her tablets and we have had noting precise told us. When fetched in the middle of the night we were told that the next 2 days were critical. What do you think her prognosis is?
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Heart Attack
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

The factors which has to be considered in identifying the prognosis here are

Age - 86 a poor candidate for general anaesthesia
Long history of stroke -25 yrs a near possibility of brain being affected during surgery
hemiplegia- which may be the foci of the clots blocking the heart vessels
2 episodes of Myocardial Ischemia one amongst being massive
Myocardial weakness due to previous attacks

After having the above factors analysed ,I would consider the condition being bad for about 8 on a 10 scale.Here she getting treated is a far matter of concern .I should say she is in a condition where she cannot undergo a procedure.

Prognosis here is too bad with survival rate of not more than 5%.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Had massive heart attack. Heart muscle damaged. What do you think the prognosis is? 7 hours later
Hello there,
Have I understood right, Yes the prognosis is bad to have further intervention, what are the expectations without this? Are we to prepare for the worst. Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

I would regret to say , yes the worst can be expected in any near time considering the prognosis of the existing condition and the risk of sudden life threatening conditions in her.

Hope things go easy.

Follow-up: Had massive heart attack. Heart muscle damaged. What do you think the prognosis is? 14 hours later
Hello there, since emailing you, she has had another very minor stroke, and then recovered again, they are wondering where to send her because the care home is just that and not nursing home and they are refusing to tkae her back, it took us ages to get her into a good care home and she has been with them only 8 weeks, not sure whether we should insist on her staying there. unitl we can look at other alternatives, are we to expect many little episodes of this nature, it seems when she gets out of bed it is putting pressure on her but she recovers to an extent in hospital and they then send her back- the hospital have sent her back to care home three times in this week and each time she is back in hospital the following day. Many thanks Veronica
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Yes, such incidence can be expected along with organ failures.Hospital would be a best place to manage and prevent any untoward complications.Do try for the same.