Had mass removal from facial cheek. Bruising has come and gone. How to treat continuous swelling?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
Mass removal from facial cheek on 11/8. Bruising has come and gone but the swelling is still horrible. The swelling feels like a gold ball size fluid filled bubble. I've done ice/heat but still painful and swollen. I've called my doctor but no word back yet? Is this swelling 5 days post op normal?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Persistently painful and swelling maybe a problem Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX, Thanks for posting your query, I appreciate your effort to try seeking a solution to your health problem and I am glad to assist you. Normally a few days after such surgical intervention, you should expect some mild swelling and pain which subsides as time goes on (may actually be negligible if analgesic pain killers are prescribed). If you are experiencing severe swelling and pain, then it is probably due to an abscess formed beneath the surgical wound. Infection is always a possibility to be envisaged, that is why in most of my post-mass excision cases, I often prescribe prophylactic antibiotics regimen so as to prevent such outcomes. You might simply be experiencing post-surgical abscess which might require just a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory to get rid of this. If the abscess has collected, then you might need another surgical drainage procedure (I will say sorry for that) in order to improve on healing. Insist on seeing your doctor again in 2-3 days if this swelling and pain persist. Hope this is able to help in take a wise decision. Regards Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Had mass removal from facial cheek. Bruising has come and gone. How to treat continuous swelling? 3 hours later
Thank you! I see my doctor tomorrow morning and have been on keflex since surgery. I'm hoping for the best!

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Your welcome Detailed Answer: I hope everything goes well for you and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Had mass removal from facial cheek. Bruising has come and gone. How to treat continuous swelling? 16 hours later
The mass was BENIGN! He said in 40 years he's not seen a mass like mine in the spot it was in my cheek. However, I did have to have a shot of cortisone today in the site to reduce the fluid/swelling. I will go back on Tuesday and hopefully this saga will be behind me. thanks for putting my mind at ease while I was in limbo.

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 14 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: Then this must be an extremely rare condition. Wish you the best and hope everything goes for the best. Did he discuss option of excising the mass? Since it is benign. Regards Dr. Nsah