Had mammogram and told to have lymph node behind nipples. Suggestion?

I had a questionable mammogram last week and was told that it was probably just a lymph node behind by right nipple. I did not understand this since I thought lymph nodes were under the arm. I was told to come back in 6 months for another mammogram and ultrasound.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
You are absolutely right that lymph nodes are commonly found in armpits (also neck and groin). But lymph nodes are also found in the breast in most persons. These are normal nodes and not a sign of cancer unless they appear enlarged.
Probably the appearance of the intramammary node (inside the breast) in you was benign hence just a follow up was advised.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow-up queries, if any.