Had lyme disease. Pain and swelling in knuckle. Noticed blackening around index finger tips. Concerned

I noticed blackening around the tip of my right index finger after pulling the top on a can. Shortly afterward the area started burning and the sensation but not coloration traveled to the 2nd joint. Now the pain has traveled to my right knuckle with some swelling. The burning and pain is worse at night while trying to sleep. I have a history of lyme disease that was finally diagnosed in 2009. I received antibiotic treatment followed with supplements. I have residual neuropathy in my feet but nothing that disables me.
Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 3 hours later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the symptoms particularly in the background of Lyme's disease in the past. The burning sensation is most probably due to transient neuronal damage. I expect the inflammation to subside and pain to settle down even without intervention. Nevertheless i would suggest a x-ray of the right index finger to rule out finger line fracture of carpal-metacarpal joints that could have led to swelling. I would suggest hot water fomentation for relief of symptoms. As a last resort, nerve conduction study can be attempted later. Wish you speedy recovery. Do clarify anything else you may want to.
Dr Sundar