Had lump on neck. Biopsy showed non caseating epithelioid granulomatous exudate-consistent with tuberculosis. Meaning?

hi, just got my biopsy. had a lump on the neck below chin. the report says "non caseating epithelioid granulomatous exudate-consistent with tuberculosis XXXXXXX isnt non caseating epithelioid sarciodosis? also my esr came at 29mm/hr. lymphocytes count came low at 19%, monocytes high at 12%. chest xray was normal. regards. XXXXX
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 21 minutes later
Welcome to Healthacre Magic,
After going through your biopsy report, I suspect the possibility of "Tuberculous lymphadenitis". After tracing your IP address,I found that you are from India.Tuberculosis is the most common cause of lymphadenitis in india.

Caseating necrosis with epitheloid cells is the most characteristic feature of Tuberculosis.But caseating necrosis cannot be seen in all the cases.Half of the cases will have non-caseating epitheloid cells in biopsy report.

Coming to sarcoidosis- most sarcoidosis cases involve the lungs and thoracic lymph nodes, the chest x-ray is one of the most helpful diagnostic tools.

As your chest X-ray is normal, we can rule out Sarcoidodsis.

I suggest you to consult your treating Physician along with your biopsy report.

hope you are clarified now.
If you have any further questions,let me know

Follow-up: Had lump on neck. Biopsy showed non caseating epithelioid granulomatous exudate-consistent with tuberculosis. Meaning? 11 hours later
thanks doctor. this was very helpful. can you please tell me how seriois the condition is and the possible treatment. i will be meeting my doc today and ur advise will come in handy. is the condition also called non pulmonary tubercluosis? also is the condition contagious (i have a one year old daughter so am a bot worried for her).
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 16 minutes later
Welcome back,

-I suspected the possibility of T.B Lymphadenitis based on your biopsy report but you needs to be get examined by a Physician before coming to final conclusion.

-Yes its a non-pulmonary T.B but the treatment will be same as pulmonary T.B only

-Its not a serious disorder,its completely curable.

-Pulmonary T,B is highly contagious.Family members gets infection through droplets during coughing. If you have cough use any hand-cloth. If you dont have cough,it will not be contagious to others.

-Make sure that your kids are immunized with BCG vaccination.

if you have any further doubts ,let me know.