Had lumbar spinal surgery. After removal of sutures and healing of incision, infrared sauna can be used?

General Surgeon
I had L2 L3 L4 L5 lumbar spinal surgery on November 17, 2011. All sutures have been remove and the incision has properly healed. May I now use my infared sauna?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 37 minutes later

Thanks for nice query.     

One should wait minimum for one month before using infrared sauna,

Use of infrared sauna two weeks Post spinal surgery i.e. for L2, L3, L4and L5 is too early

Removal of sutures and superficial naked eye vision of healing is not a complete post surgical healing.

Complete surgical healing with regaining of tissue tensile strength do take 6 months or more.

An infrared sauna uses infrared heaters to emit infrared radiant heat which is absorbed directly into the human body,

It burn calories & evaporates water also.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.