Had lumbar puncture done. Feeling heaviness in back. Is this normal?

I had a lumbar puncture more than three weeks back and the spot still feels heavy...isthat XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

It is normal for the area to feel slightly sore or tender for a while. As your presentation is a heavy feeling, I would like to know if the area is swollen or tender to touch (i.e. the injection site)? But as it has been three weeks since the procedure, all side-effects should have subsided by now. Which is why I think it is best to XXXXXXX your doctor and rule out any complications.

Let me also list a few more symptoms that are of concern, and will require a visit to the doctor:
-Headaches (if severe, is an emergency)
-Sensitivity to bright lights
-Fluid or blood leaking from the injection site
-Swelling, tenderness around the injection site, or pus oozing from the injection site (signs of an infection)
-Signs of nerve injury (pain or numbness)

If you have any of the above mentioned symptoms, I request you to kindly visit a doctor at the earliest.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.