Had lower tooth removed and have sore inside mouth, sensitive and stings if touched with aching jaw. Suggest?

Hi I've recently had a tooth on the lower right side removed about 3 days ago and I have a sore inside of my mouth like an ulcer that is very sensitive and stings if touched, it is next to the tooth that has been extracted also I'm having an aching jaw and also ear, is this normal and what can I do to help this? The roots never came out during extraction and food gets caught there how can I help that?
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mouth rinse

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

I can appreciate that this is a very uncomfortable situation for you. The mouth is a very sensitive part of the body especially when there is injury and ulceration.

i suspect that what you are experiencing is secondary to the manipulation that occurred during your dental procedure. I would suggest that you consider mouthwashes using 50% hydrogen peroxide mixed with 50% water. You Might use this solution five or six times per day. This is something you would swish around your mouth and then spit. Make sure you do not swallow any of this solution.

It might take five or six additional days for healing to occur so that the pain becomes less. You can try taking some ibuprofen to alleviate some of the pain as well. If the symptoms do not get any better or become worse within the next several days I would suggest that you contact the dentist again.

Thanks again for sending your question.

Dr. Galamaga