Had lower back injury. What can I do to get rid of sciatica and muscle spasm?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am an athlete and i am suffering from sciatica. What can i do to get rid of sciatica for good? Also every time i sprint i get muscle spasm in my left hip and lower back. I want to get rid of this spasm as this is really interfering in my sport performance.What can i do to get rid of this spasm? It has been almost one month since my lower back injury and i have been feeling much better. I have been rehabbing and jogging every day. But when i sit down to study at night,, the sciatica pain really bothers me.Is there any thing serious about my injury. How can i get rid of it for ever?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Sciatica is largest nerve that starts from lower back and runs from buttock to rest of lower limb. Sciatica is caused due to nerve irritation and compressed unnecessarily.

As you have lower back injury one month back, x-ray is required to rule out any fracture or pathology.

To get rid of sciatica follow following steps is useful:-

* Firstly give rest to your body and sleep.
* Use back support cushions in every chair you sit in.
* For muscle spasm in left hip and lower back you can get massage with an over-the-counter pain relieving cream or certain oils.
* Drink lot of water
* Add food to your diet like peanuts that contain magnesium for muscle contractions.
* Apply ice packs for 20 minutes once every 2-3 hrs (crushed ice or frozen peas) to the source of irritation or pain.
* Alternatively you can use hot packs 48 hrs after you use cold packs (hot water bottle, heating pads or heat lamp).
*Mild stretching exercises may also help.

If your symptoms don't improve within a couple of days or come and go, don't postpone your visit to your physical therapist.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Had lower back injury. What can I do to get rid of sciatica and muscle spasm? 1 hour later
I had an x XXXXXXX a month ago during my lower back injury and the doctor informed me that one of the space between disc of my lower back has started decreasing, which started pinching one of my nerve. He advised me to take rest for 2 weeks and asked me to use Myolgin capsules everyday for 10 days. Also, he gave me a pain reliever cream namely VOltaren and i have been using it regularly. Sir, right now when i sit i feel the sciatica pain but when i jog or walk, I feel much better. The sciatica pain starts when i am laying down or sitting. Sir, is there any medicines/supplements that i can take to help me? Also, since i am a student i cannot completely rest as i have to go to classes. Sir,i have a back brace/belt, can i use it while i am sitting as i have seen it helps me a lot.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again

You might be having the disc bulge which causes pressure over nerve roots and this may be the cause of radiation of pain in lower limb.

So you have to go for MRI which shows the level and amount of bulging of disc. You have to do physiotherapy( Back exercises ) which decreases tension over nerve roots.

Epidural steroid injection may be helpful in reducing oedema around nerve and thus decrease pressure over nerve roots.

Brace and Belt having no role in this condition and are harmful if used for a long time.

Hope I have answered your query