Had long flights, inside of ankles were swollen with bruise like marks. What could it be?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
My wife went to Japan arrived yesterday she called this morning and said the inside of her ankles were swollen on the enter part of her leg she said they hurt but did not hurt to touch she also said that there are light spots kind of looks like a like hicky she was worried about blood clots because of the flight she is 39 years old and in good health.
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 42 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
During and after a long-haul flight it is common for the ankles to swell and even develop bruise-like marks. This would not be severely painful but may lead to some discomfort. I understand your wife's concerns about a blood clot. This is a rare problem with long-haul flights. The warning sign would be pain in the calf. Swelling on its own does not increase the risk of a blood clot.
I would suggest your wife elevates her legs when possible. Paracetamol may help if her ankles are painful. For the return flight, I would recommend she uses special flight socks often called compression socks or stockings. Walk around the airplane when possible and perform the exercises that are often detailed in the in-flight information.
I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger