Had liver function test. SGOT and SGPT is elevated. How to bring it down?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I just got my complete health checkup done. In the liver function test, my SGOT is 41, while SGPT is 67. What is this indicative of? Please let me know how do I bring it down to normal levels (0-35). I am a complete tee-totaler
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

This is slight elevation of functional liver enzymes and if there is normal bilirubin level and you dont have any liver symotms then you dont have to be concerned. This is common finding and isnt indicating any serious liver damage.
Of course, some disorder should be ruled out, but this is probably just the first stage of fatty liver so you should also do liver ultrasound and viral markers just to make sure that there is no liver fibrosis/cirrhosis and viral hepatitis or gallbladder issue.

As I said the most common cause of such LFT elevation is fatty liver which can be found in healthy people, but usually is resulting from so called "metabolic syndrome" (elevated blood lipids, overweight and elevated blood sugar). ALcohol is just one of the causes.
At this point you should treat this only by changing dietary and lifestyle habits. Do exercise and lose weight if overweight, avoid alcohol, smoking, fats, fast food and carbonated drinks. Eat more fruit and vegetables, boiled food and natural beverages. Some teas and drugs may cause liver damage so be cautious about this. Of course, regulate your blood sugar and blood lipids. Findings usually improves on such measures. If not, then some medicines can be prescribed, but I suggest to go step by step and check your LFT every 2 months.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.