Had little pain followed by white and pink discharge. Haven't had period from long time. underlying cause?

ok am 64 n iam in a little pain i have apink discharge n dont know why i havent had a period in11 years i first had a white discharge n then it went away n now after a stressful weekend I started with a pink discharge
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 34 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So you are having what I will consider a small amount of vaginal bleeding. Also, this is in the setting of what sounds like a probable recent vaginal yeast infection. This is probably just related to the prolapse, vaginal atrophy and inflammation from a vaginal infection, but other causes MUST be considered. This might represent bleeding from the uterus (assuming you still have your uterus). While this is not a reason to panic, you must:
1. Schedule a visit with an OB/GYN
2. Make sure they do a vaginal exam and vaginal cultures
3. Ask for an ultrasound to look at the uterus
4. Ask, after the ultrasound, if they think a biopsy of the uterine lining is indicated

The main concern is pre-cancerous changes of the uterus. Once this has been ruled out, you can focus on what contribution the other factors that I mentioned might be playing in your problem.

I hope that this helps!