Had light periods. Feeling sore and itchy in vagina. Have watery discharge. Have sharp abdominal pains. What can this be?

Ok my query is 2 weeks ago I had a very different menstruation cycle than I normally would - it was extremely light when normally it would be quite heavy. During the week I began to feel sore and itchy in my vagina as I regular suffer from thrush I have taken cream and it hasn't worked. I have also had very heavy watery discharge where I have had to wear a sanitary towel and for the past two days very sharp pains across my lower abondmen. When I did go to my doctor about the light period she felt my lower abondmen and said that it was quite tender
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The light periods with a tender lower abdomen and watery discharge could be due to a vaginal infection associated with a pelvic infection.
There could be a mild hormonal imbalance also. Ectopic pregnancy also needs to be ruled out.
Since the over the counter vaginal cream has not helped you, it is best to consult your gynecologist for serum beta HCG levels and a vaginal swab culture. You will need systemic antibiotics to control the infection that you are having.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.