Had light period. Had sex with two partners. When can I have conceived? After abortion, can I be pregnant again?

Infertility Specialist
Question
yes. here is question:Hi,
I will give you the facts. I found out I am pregnant on March 2nd. My usual periods fall on the first of the month. I did not have a march period, but had a regular period Dec 1 and XXXXXXX 1. I had a period in Feb, on the 1st, but it seemed lighter and/or shorter than usual. Here is the problem: I had sex with partner A (not regular partner) on Feb 2nd only. I had sex with Partner B (regular partner) on the 16th and 17th of Feb. I only had sex with Partner B in XXXXXXX and Dec. Partner A was a one time incident. I know an ultrasound would confirm this for me a little better, since the days of intercourse are nearly 2 weeks apart, but I cannot get one for a while because I am so early. I do not know if I can mentally stand the uncertainty and am considering abortion. I want to know 1) based on this information, when does it seem like I would have concieved 2) who do you think is most likely the father 3) if I did have an abortion, can I still get pregnant after that if it is performed safely? Any other thoughts?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later

Congratulatins for your pregnancy.

I read your history thoroughly. Following are my answers to your questions:

1) It seems like you have conceived in february. The short duration of bleeding you had on February 1 was the regular period. You have conceived when you had sex on 16th and 17th with regular partner B

2) Most likely father is Partner B. Whether you have conceived in February or in January, Father will be Partner B according to cycles you have explained. There is NO chance of Partner A being father. Hence dont worry.

3) If you have an abortion safely , you can get pregnant again. That is not a problem.

4) But considering your age it is right time to start a family by having kids. Fertility potential of a women start reducing after 30 years of age. Hence, if fissible you can continue pregnancy and have a child.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for any followup queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Had light period. Had sex with two partners. When can I have conceived? After abortion, can I be pregnant again? 40 minutes later
thank you! one more follow up: would an ultrasound help clarify this even more? being able to give me dates of possible conception, and if so, what is margin of error. intercourse was 2 weeks apart. thanks

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 17 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Ultrasound would definitely help you clarifying eve more. Follow below advice:

1) Get Transvaginal ultrasound scan to see fetal pole, fetal heart rate, and CRL (crown rump length).

2) Get serum beta hCG (human Chorionic Gonadotropin) blood test which corresponds to week of pregnancy and help you further for dating.

I hope I answered your query. You can ask me if you have any more queries. If no more queries, close this discussion.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.

Follow-up: Had light period. Had sex with two partners. When can I have conceived? After abortion, can I be pregnant again? 1 hour later
so B is most likely father? and ultrasound would confirm this with some acuracy, since the dates of sexual intercouse were almost 2 weeks apart? thanks

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 minutes later

You are right. Certainly Partner B is the father of your child. There is no possibility of Partner A being the father in anyway.

Ultrasound and serum beta hCG will help you in predicting gestational age of baby.

I hope I answered your query. If no more queries, accept my answer & close this discussion.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Had light period. Had sex with two partners. When can I have conceived? After abortion, can I be pregnant again? 2 days later
one last thing, and I will close this discussion. thank you
1) is an ultrasound accurate at this point in pregnancy and will that help me be able to determine conception date, with sexual intercouse days being that far apart? Is there any way an ultrasound would state that I conceived in between the 2nd and 16th of Feb, since I didnt have sex then? I ask because I was wondering what to expect from an ultrasound if its A vs B, specifially.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Ultrasound coupled with serum beta hCG is better predictor of gestational age of baby. You could not have conceived with partner A. Hence dont think about it. Hence there is nothing to compare AVs B.