Had learning disability, hard time listening and getting distracted. Have poor social skills. Advise?

Hi my name is Jessie. I had a learning disability my whole life always had a hard time listening and getting distracted. I have poor social skills.
My email is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for your query.

I understand that it must be quite difficult trying to cope up with a learning disability. Like you have mentioned, people with learning disability can have problems in listening, reading, comprehending, processing information, remembering, etc. So, this could be the likely reason for the difficulty in listening / attention and the problem of getting distracted. Attention deficit disorders like ADHD are also common in people with learning disability and so, this possibility needs to be ruled out.

Though learning disability cannot be permanently cured or fixed, still there is a lot of help available for such persons to improve themselves. With the right support and intervention, however, people with learning disabilities can do well and often go on to lead a successful career and social life. So, don't lose heart or become frustrated.

Firstly, you will need a detailed assessment to establish the exact nature and severity of your problem. Like I had mentioned before, other co-existing diagnoses like an attention deficit disorder also have to be ruled out. Once we have a clear idea of your problems and the likely causes, then an appropriate management plan can be drawn. The basic aim of treatment interventions is to give you the social and emotional tools you needs to work through challenges. This way you will become strong and resilient and work with a positive attitude to overcome your obstacles. There are techniques which can help enhance your learning skills and social skills also.

So, I would suggest that you see a psychiatrist (preferably someone who specializes in learning disability) for a detailed assessment and further management. It would also be a good idea to get in touch with local support groups or service organizations for further support and guidance.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist