Had late abnormal periods with light bleeding and huge ball of blood clot followed by heavy bleeding. Cause?

Hello, I was late on my menstrual period. I normally get my period for 5 days tops and only 3 days with normal flow. I started my period last Sunday and the first 3 days it was pretty light but the next day a huge ball with blood clots came out. Ever since then, I continue to have heavy flow and lots of blood clots. No cramping but I feel weak. I'm 42 years old. Is this a sign of miscarriage or starting my menopause? please help, thank you!
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

This kind of bleeding could be a sign of a spontaneous miscarriage, but that can only be confirmed by a urine pregnancy test. If you had done a test and it were positive, then this could very well, have been a spontaneous abortion.However, since a test is not possible now, this cannot be confirmed. On the other hand, heavy bleeding is also seen during peri-menopause. But only one episode cant confirm that. Right now, its important to stop the bleeding. If you are still bleeding, then you need to see a doctor for medication and possibly an sonogram to determine if there is any remnants inside. If the bleeding has stopped, then don't worry, just note the pattern of your bleeding in the following months. If similar heavy bleeding continues then you need a sonogram to rule out pathology.