Ask a Urologist   »  

Had laser surgery to open urinary channel. Having continuous pressure on rectum with frequent urination. Reason?

General Surgeon
Question
I had XXXXXXX laser surgery to open up my urinary channel 12 weeks ago.
The stream is much stronger, but I am still leaking and having to pee every 30 to 60 minutes with 100 to 150 cc per time, but appears to be healting albeit very slowly.
More annoying is a feeling of continuous pressure on my rectum, creating the sensation of a continuous need to poop.
I am 62 years old, in good health other than enlarged but not cancerous prostate.
Two questions: Is the rectal discomfort a side-effect of the XXXXXXX laser surgery? Will it heal over time, or is it an indication of something more serious?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Your symptoms are most likely caused by prostate infection. This condition apart from urinating problems, can also give rectal pressure or sharp pains in the rectum. Surgery could cause this infection so yes it can be a aside effect of this procedure. That is why, I suggest you to have urine analysis and urine culture test performed. If positive, antibiotic (Ciprofloxacine 500 mg twice a day for 28 days) should be prescribed.
If no findings in urine, you should have rectal examination and rectosigmoidoscopy (or better colonoscopy if you havent ever had it performed).

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.