Had large ganglion removed. Have numbness and loss of feeling in finger. Should I go for operation?

I had a large ganglion removed from my left wrist in 2006. I now have numbness and loss of feeling in the ring finger and little finger of my left hand . I cannot play golf like I used to because I can't rotate my left wrist fully through my swing. It is painful after playing golf. It is also weak and affects my work as a builder at times. I was told it was a routine operation and went to my local orthopaedic surgeon who my GP referred me to rather than a 'hand specialist'. Would physio help? Should I have another operation to try and improve movement/pain? Many thanks for your help. Ps : I have Dupuytrens contracture in my right hand which does not seem to have worsened over last 3 years - currently thickening in palm and two lumps on tendons only, no 'trigger finger". Thanks.
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
A ganglion cyst is a benign (non-cancerous) lump filled with fluid. Commonly occurring on the joints or tendons of the hand or wrist, ganglion cysts can be removed surgically or through aspiration. When a ganglion cyst presses on a nerve, pain or numbness may occur.

Numbness in your finger following surgery to remove a ganglion cyst will occur shortly after surgery until the anesthetic has worn off. Rarely, persistent finger numbness may indicate that nerves in the finger were damaged during surgery. Some time after surgery, it is possible that the ganglion cyst may regrow and cause finger numbness by pressing on a nerve in your finger.

Please consult your orthopedic surgeon again and asses the possibility of regrowth of ganglion.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Had large ganglion removed. Have numbness and loss of feeling in finger. Should I go for operation? 13 hours later
Thanks for your reply, however I am not entirely happy with the level of detail although i appreciate you are not an orthopaedic doctor yourself. I did ask specifically about whether physiotherapy would help and particularly about the restriction in movement of the wrist which is affecting work and leisure pastimes. Do you advocate use of a power ball to build up muscle around the wrist and help increase flexibility?. Please can you comment on this.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 minutes later
Physiotherapy is not going to help you if the ganglion has regrown.
It will help only if your nerves are damaged during the surgery as no surgical intervention can be done in that case and that is the reason I asked you to consult your orthopedic surgeon.
In the absence of any regrowth of ganglion,physiotherapy and VIT B12, either orally or injectable,should be of help to you.