Had laproscopy and a laparotomy to remove dermoid cyst from ovary. Can I start traveling and working?

May 2013
I had laproscopy which ended being a laparotomy to remove a 8cm dermoid cyst from my left ovary on the 22nd of May. The surgeon signed me off work until yesterday the 5th of XXXXXXX I work as a long haul airline stewardess and my next flight is in 3 days saturday the 9th of XXXXXXX the flight is a ten to eleven hour flight from london to johannesburg with a one night lay over and then return to London the next day. Both flights are throughout the night, I would get a two to three hour break where I could lie down on each flight. I am unable to get an appointment with my airlines occupational health department for several weeks because they are over booked, so the lady on the phone from the occ health dept said its up to me really as to wether i tell my manager I am fit to fly on my rostered flight on saturday or if I wait until I get a phone consultation with occupational health. I am eager to get back to work for financial reasons but dont want to discover half way through the flight that I am not fit for work.
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

as by the time you go to your work around 18 days will be over from the time of surgery.

normally we recommend 2 weeks rest after abdominal surgery and
after 10 days of surgery patient can fly.

so as you completed both the periods you can go to work.
but you have to remember certain things during work,

-You should avoid heavy lifting, pulling or pushing.
-By this time the abdominal wound might have healed, but still if there are any symptoms like inflammation, tenderness or discharge from the wound etc, you have to consult the doctor before flying and take necessary medication and continue it during travel also.
-Continue if there are any other medications also which your doctor told to use till the time of flying.
-Try to take rest as much as possible.
-Avoid constipation which can lead to suture disruption, take liquids and fruits as much as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.