Had laproscopic surgery to remove endometriosis and ovarian cysts. Missing periods. Should I consult gynecologist?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hello. My wife is 53 and eight years ago she had laproscopic surgery to remove endometriosis and a couple of small ovarian cysts. She has stopped having her cycle about a year and a half ago, and is wondering whether there is any concern at her age now for gynecological issues, especially in light of that condition she had 8 years ago. The effects of menopause seem to be relatively mild, although it's not always possible to confirm what health effects are associated with menopause I guess.
What might she be concerned about from now that would require consultations with a gynecologist? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi XXXXXX

endometriosis means growth of endometrial tissue outside uterine cavity, that will be active only till the hormones are functioning and menstrual cycles are occurring,
as now she attained menopause if at all any remnants of endometrial tissue present after surgery that will regress,
normally functional ovarian cysts also regress after menopause.

now if she is not having any problem with menopausal symptoms no need bother,
she can consult gynecologist in case of,
-severe menopausal symptoms like hot flushes, night sweats, psychological problems, itching etc,
- bleeding or spotting from vagina,
-post coital bleeding,
-pain abdomen with palpable mass,
-excessive vaginal dryness leading to problems,
-vaginal discharge with itching etc.
-general problems like osteoporosis, circulatory problems etc.

all these are not common symptoms, just better to aware of these and if at all any problem comes she can consult gynecologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had laproscopic surgery to remove endometriosis and ovarian cysts. Missing periods. Should I consult gynecologist? 13 minutes later
Thank you very much, Is there a way of determining whether emotional problems can be directly correlated with menopause instead of general issues that a person may experience?
And what are the risks of gynocologically-related cancer after the ending of menstruation?
Are pap smears or other analyses no longer needed under ordinary circumstances after the end of menstruation?

hi XXXXXX

the usual emotional problems the women can have are irritability, feeling of sadness,
others are anxiety, lack of motivation, mood changes, fatigue etc.
normally menopause related emotional changes can be managed with lifestyle changes, by reducing stress and by practicing relaxation techniques etc.
so if the problem do not decrease with these measures and HRT then the possibility of medical or psychiatric conditions to be ruled out.

the common gynecological malignancies are cervical, endometrial and ovarian malignancies in them, the incidence of cervical malignancy decreases and for the remaining two incidence increases with menopause.

According to new guidelines pap smear test should be done after menopause also preferably up to 65 years,
So if she had previous normal results then from now onwards she can go for pap test once in three years.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.