Had laparoscopy. Developed bladder infection. Having sever abdominal pain and back pain. Suggest

I am 29 years old, last year i had a laparoscopy and leep done, recevered fine.I had a cone, cold knife biopsy done 8 weeks ago for carcinoma in situ. Since this operation I have felt awful! I developed a bladder infection, I had severe pain in lower abdomin and terrible back pain. I went to ob and pcp they all said I was fine and it was just a uti. This went on for three weeks,multiple antibiotics no relief. I went to a urologist who ordered a CT scan. There was free air in abdomin, thickening of bladder wall and lower colon. My urologist admitted me to hospital for three days for IV antibiotics. I have fad fever and chills the entire time so an infection was suspected. A gynocologist was called in and found pus in my cervix where biopsy was performed. Also an anerobic bacteria was found. I am home now same symptoms.. Having lots of nausea, committing, decrease appetite, doctor said it was due to antibiotics . I am giving up on any cure. None of the cultures came back with answers.No one seems to know what is going on. My pcp and gynocologist who were previously involved feel I have chronic pain. I refuse to let this be my new life. I just want my quality of life back. Please help!I wanted to mention all Std checks were negative , just didn't want Pid to be response again, I asked a question in December, I had a ruptured ovarian cyst, physician wrote back PID.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Given that your problems started with the procedure, and procedures are associated with complications that include:
1. Infection
2. Injury to the bowel or bladder
Then it seems that to call this "chronic pain" is not really appropriate given the course of events (an abnormal CT scan, abnormal bladder findings, and "pus" in the cervix). Something is not right and given your lack of improvement, you need the following:
1. You likely need to be admitted to the hospital
2. You likely need a repeat exam and cultures
3. You need IV antibiotics if PID or cervical infection is suspected
4. You definitely need a seond opinion with a DIFFERENT OB/GYN

I always hate hearing stories like this. A procedure was done, there were problems afterwards, and noone wants to blame the procedure for the problem. They want to blame you. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this before you have a bigger problem and potentially lose your uterus!

Good luck and please go get help!
Follow-up: Had laparoscopy. Developed bladder infection. Having sever abdominal pain and back pain. Suggest 8 hours later
Thank you, i am trying to be seen at urgent care now. I had blood work and cultures done without anything showing up would this be due to all the antibiotics I have been on?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
I think that it is great that you have been seen. If you are continuing to have symptoms like you describe, they need to do an exam and some kind of imaging. Given the prior findings you described, at the very least, this should be done to make sure that nothing has progressed.

Let me know what happens!
Follow-up: Had laparoscopy. Developed bladder infection. Having sever abdominal pain and back pain. Suggest 4 hours later
Thank you again for some direction and making me feel less crazy, I gave all labs, ct, records to new physician he agrees something is going on. I am off antibiotic to reculture. Also have follow ups next week with new group of docs. Hopefully I can get my life back soon! Thanks again take care!
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 hours later
This is excellent. If I were you, I would:
1. Get a copy of the 'operative report' for yourself - review this and see if there were any problems or concerns that they encountered. Did they have problems with adhesions? Did they cauterize or burn anything in the pelvis? All in an effort to assess whether there could have been injury to the bowel or bladder.
2. Write down your questions.
3. Write down the timeline of your symptoms as well as your contacts with your original clinic and their responses.

Good luck!