Had laparoscopic surgery done. Took antibiotic. Feeling fatigue and exhausted. Sign of an infection?

Mar 2013
Hello, I just had laparoscopic surgery. The wound in my belly button became infected and I was treated with antibiotics (this was on Friday and it is now Tuesday). Since Sunday I have been suffering from extreme fatigue - unable to get out of bed and just utterly exhausted. I cannot remember ever feeling this tired. I have not had a fever, however, I have had intermittent chills. Could this be a result of the infection? Thank you!
Posted Fri, 8 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 38 minutes later
Any kind of Infection can lead to extreme tiredness and malaise.
Also, surgery itself is a kind of trauma that could cause this,
Certain antibiotics have side effects that result in the symptoms you describe.
If you were on thyroid medication, this could be a cause.
Please take lots of rest, and plenty of fluids,
If you do not feel better within a day, consult your operating doctor to rule out any persistent infection / any other ongoing pathology.
Try taking vitamin C supplements which would aid wound healing, and make you feel better in general.
Please take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.