Had laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Having shortness of breath. Keloid removed from navel and gauze has blood. Should I be worried?

I had a laproscopic cholesytectomy done on Thursday. I notice that I have some shortness of breath, but also almost difficulty catching my breath, almost like an involunary breath. I called the doctor who didn't seem all that concerned. Just wondering if this is normal? Also, I had a keloid removed from my navel before they put in the laproscopic and the steri strip and gauze was bloody. I took a shower today and removed the outside bandage but the steri strips still are bloody.

Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These symptoms are not alarming for now

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about your recent surgery,y though happy because surgery is always aimed at relieving you of your symptoms and improving the quality of your life.

The symptoms you have described are not uncommon after surgery involving the gall bladder. Generally, the residual pain linked to surgery prevents you from breathing in fully and deep that can be interpreted as difficulty in breathing. With adequate pain control and healing, you would feel a lot better over the days ahead. I would join your doctor not to get overly concerned right now unless there is something else that you have not reported like severe chest pain and severe respiratory distress.

As for the blood stained gauze and sterile strip, it should not be of any concern unless it is active bleeding. If it were, then for sure you would have returned to the hospital for the bleeding to be controlled. The small blood stain represents minor bleeds that has stopped from small vessels which were injured during the procedure.

I hope this addresses your query fully and provides guidance on how to approach this worry. I thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for clarifications if need be.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD