Had laparoscopic appendectomy. Having bowel problems. On probiotic tablets. Feel constipated. Mild pain in abdomen. Cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I had laporoscopic appendectomy Aug. 3, appendix was leaky and gangrenous. Six weeks later, began having bowel problems, seemed to shut down. For awhile, no movement, then lots of growling in upper left side, mild pings and pains in lower right. I remedied with probiotic tablets and mild laxative tea (Traditional Medicinal brand Smooth Move), and soft cooked veggies. I have not felt constipated, just very inactive in the gut. But have had same problem ever since. Must continue with my 'remedies', or everything stops. I have mostly mild diarrhea, soft stools, only two solid and normal since problem began. Also mild pain in lower right abdomen remains. What might be the cause? Do I have something requiring intervention?
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
If these are only symptoms that you have,then you dont have to be concerned. Bowel motility disorders are common after appendectomies,especially if there was gangrene and perforation. Even up to 2 month are necessary till digestion and bowel motility stabilize. It can be facilitated by proper diet,probiotics and enough fluid intake and other remedies that you ve mentioned.
However, if pain in right abdominal area progress,fever or vomiting occur, or there is abdominal bloating and blood in stool,you should do ultrasound or ct scan to rule out intraabdominal abscess or bowel leakage. This is rare complication of appendicitis,but can be serious. At this point I dont think that soft stools are something worrying. Wish you good health.Feel free to ask. Regards