Had lap band removed via lap surgery. Having pain in breast. Is this normal?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, i just had my lap band removed two weeks ago via lap surgery and I have a pain that comes and goes on the side of my left breast.. is this normal?
Posted Mon, 13 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 7 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
You need not worry. It is a normal sequelae and will resolve by itself.
The mechanism of pain is as follows.
When the band is in place it excludes a part of the stomach from the rest . This is a significant part of the stomach. As a result the excluded part shrinks in size. Now after removal of the band that excluded part is agian brought into the main stream. With every meal it is forced to distend. This distension by food is what causes pain. Slowly the stomach will regain normalcy in distensibility and thereafter the pain will disappear. Therefore I would now suggest you to have multiple small feeds rather than few heavy meals.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards