Had kochs disease. have fever and cough. Taking Gemer GP2, Jalra. Viral fever or Kochs?

I suffered from Kocks around 2005 and was cured by 9 month medicine course . Around 7 days back I caught fever with dry cough ranging from normal in the morning to 99.5 in day time . I am a diabetic with uncontrolled food habits but for last 1 month i am within controlled ranges and am taking Gemer GP2 ( 2 tabs a day ) and Jalra 50 mg ( One tab a day ) . Please advise whether the current fever is a relapse of Kocks or just a viral one . I am 64 years . Mail ID YYYY@YYYY

Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be sufferinf from Diabetes old treated PTB with ? secondary infection.

2. You need to get a sputum afb smear examination and chest xray pa view. A 2 to 3 weeks course of antibiotic like Tb augmentin duo 625 mg thrice a day under supervision of your Pulmonologist is required. A repeat sputum afb and chest xray after antibitic course needs to be done.

3. Being a diabetic predisposes you to be at a risk of developing secondary infections.

4. If there is no response after antibiotic trial then advanced investigations like bronchoscopy and CT scan may be required.

5. Also after control of the current episode do consider yourself for getting vaccinated by flu and pneumococcal vaccines.

6. I suggest that you get yourself evaluated in detail with a Pulmonologist / physician.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist