Had knocked calve and knee started to ache. Now it has fluid and swelling pain. Advise?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi i was digging with spade when i knocked my R calve it swelled up and then my knee started to ache, now knee has fluid on it knee cap hurts aches and grinds , back of knee is tender and fluid like swelling pain i can hardly walk or put pressure on it ??
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
The presence of swelling, extreme pain and a fluid collection inside the joint is suggestive of a bone or ligament injury. This needs a direct examination like X-ray and MRI scan of the affected knee to find out the cause.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Had knocked calve and knee started to ache. Now it has fluid and swelling pain. Advise? 24 minutes later
thanks will try hot compress and follow up with xrays !
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
You are most welcome.