Ask a Urologist   »  

Had knee replacement surgery. Having abdominal pain. Cause?

General Surgeon
I had knee replacement surgery on July 2 and although I now have regular bowel movements and am able to urinate, I have abdominal pain on the lower left side when I'm sitting on the toilet. I don't know what is causing it because I've never had this before.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lower left abdominal pain can be caused by diverticulitits, colon cancer, ovaries issues, due to different diet and antibiotics intake, regular intestinal bacteria are replaced with some other bacteria. This can cause many different bowels problems like irregular bowel movements or abdominal pain.
Another thing is that the risk of colon cancer over the age of 50 rises. That is why every person older than 50 should have colonoscopy done.

I suggest you to have stool tests, stool culture test at first. You should also get scheduled for colonoscopy. If all this tests will be negative, gynecologist consult should be next.
In a meanwhile please start probiotic supplementation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.