Had knee replacement and pain in leg. Taking apo-tramadol acet. Could I take ibuprofen?

Question
yes ...I had a knee replacement on the 15 of august and the pain is bad through my whole leg...I take apo-tramadol acet/37.5/32mg. Can I take an ibuprofen with that ...like advil ? Anything else I can do to alleviate the pain?
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can be used if no history of bleeding or ulcers

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

At present you may be using a blood thinner because of the knee replacement. Many persons with hip or knee replacements are normally provided with these medications to reduce the chance of blood clots post surgery.

NSAIDS such as ibuprofen are associated with a risk of bleeding particularly from the stomach. If you have no history of bleeding complications or blood disorders and no prior history of ulcer in the stomach ,then you can consider using the medication.

It is used in persons where there is no history of the above.

Medications such as celebrex are not associated with a risk of bleeding and you can consider trying these along with your other medications.

If the addition of the ibuprofen or celebrex is not effective then you may want to ask you doctor for stronger analgesia.

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Had knee replacement and pain in leg. Taking apo-tramadol acet. Could I take ibuprofen? 7 hours later
Is there anything else I can do to alleviate the pain ? Can I have a glass of wine when under medication ?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
mainly oral medication, alcohol should be avoided

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Alcohol can affect bleeding so while you are using the anti coagulant, it would be best to avoid alcohol.

The main recommendation for pain control is the combination of medications. Celebrex is commonly used post replacement surgery in combination with opiates such as the one you are using or stronger ones.

In addition paracetamol is used at 1000mg every 6 hours , you are currently using paracetamol in combination with tramadol .

YOu may need a stronger opiate and other medication to be prescribed for the breakthrough pain.

If possible it would be best to speak to your orthopedic surgeon to find out if the medication can be altered.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions