Had knee loose body removal anthroscopy. Is there necessity to remove the loose bodies through surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi Doctor,
My dad has recently undergone "knee loose body removal anthroscopy" a week back. There were three loose bodies detected in the knee, out of which only one could be removed during the surgery. The other bodies are stuck to the bone. I have two questions:
1. Will there be a necessity to remove the other two loose bodies as well, through surgery?
2. My dad is a badminton player. Will he be able to play badminton or go for walking again as usual ? Are there any constraints?

Thanks in advance
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 20 hours later

Many thanks for asking your query.

Well it depends on where those remaining loose bodies are situated. Sometimes, they may be in a location that is absolutely benign. On the other hand, they can be at a place that obstructs movements of bones.

He can play badminton, provided he has been advised so, by his treating doctor and those remaining loose bodies are not coming in his way.

Picture can be clearer, if you can post the x-rays and MRI scans at a time, along with discharge note of the doctor.

Please do write for follow up queries that you may have.

Warm Regards
Dr Deepak Goyal
Knee Joint Surgeon