Had knee injury. Getting pain on thigh. MRI shows full thickness chondral fissuring. Meaning?

hi my mother had a knee injury 15 years ago. four weeks ago started getting terrible pain in left thigh. MRI shows full thickness chondral fissuring and flap formation along the weight bearing aspect of the medial femoral condyle over a transverse dimension of 3mm with associated subchrondral cyst formation and marrow oedema. Could you please tell me what this means and what \I should do to help her further. She also has plantar fascitis and has been wearing non-customised orthoheels for years. Thank you
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 6 hours later
Hi, welcome and thanks for writing in.
I will first explain the knee structure. Knee joint if formed by lower end of femur having medial and lateral large part known as condyles, and upper part of tibia. Each bony surface is covered by a structure which act as cushion for joint known as chondral surface. It is formed by cartilage.
Now coming to pathology. She is already have grade 4 tear of chondral surface on medial condyle. It means the cushion is torn through and through. It is already operated and detached part is removed. Presently she has tear in remaining portion of that cushions. It is also possible that it is post operative defect.
You need to consult your orthopaedician for further management. Orthoscopic evaluation of knee joint may be necessary. Then only decision can be taken. Plantar fascitis is not related to present condition.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern, please let me know.

Follow-up: Had knee injury. Getting pain on thigh. MRI shows full thickness chondral fissuring. Meaning? 12 hours later
Thank you very much,
Could you also tell me why does she have such debilitating pain in her lower thigh at the back of her leg. Is this sciatic pain or related to her knee. I am concerned she also has a problem related to her hips or lower back that could be contributing to this. She does have a history of back sciatica. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 5 hours later
Hi, welcome back.
Considering age factor, previous history and pain along posterior aspect of thigh there is possibility of sciatica can be considered. It needs to evaluated by MRI of lumbosacral region. However clinical examination like leg raising test etc are necessary before examination.