Had kidney transplantation in the past. Trying to conceive. Had a miscarriage. Is IUI or IVF a metter method?

I had a Kidney Transplant in 2005 and I am doing well. However, I am 42 yrs old and remarried in 2008. We are trying to have a baby and had my 1st miscarriage in 2009. I haven't got pregnant since then. I also tried clomid 50mg to 100mg just for 2 months. Nothing happened. my question is: Is IUI the best way to go since I have a transplated kidney? I don't want IVF. Please let me know which is the best way to go. I have Blue Cross insurance.
Thank you
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Since you have tried clomiphene for only two months, i feel this was not an adequate trial for you. It takes at least 6-8 months of regular treatment with follicular study for a successful conception. With the best of efforts, the rate of conception is only 20-22% per cycle.
A detailed hormonal study is also needed under the guidance of an infertility specialist to find out the cause of delayed conception.
I encourage you to go for ovulation induction and if it is unsuccessful, consider IUI.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Had kidney transplantation in the past. Trying to conceive. Had a miscarriage. Is IUI or IVF a metter method? 2 hours later
Thank you very much for your speedy reply.
When you mention "Ovulation induction" and What kind of treatment is Follicular Study..what do you mean? Does that include injections? Should I go back on clomid for at least 6 months? Is it safe for me to try to get pregnant in my condition? I'm healthy and hold the same my job 12 yrs. Am I too old?
Thank you.
Best Wishes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing again.
Ovulation induction means clomiphene therapy to induce ovaries to produce healthy eggs. Follicular study is a serial ultrasound scans which are done after giving clomiphene to assess the size of eggs formed. Once a mature egg is formed, inj. Hcg is given and you are advised to have intercourse to have a successful conception.
Your condition does not prohibit you from getting pregnant. Although yours will be a high risk pregnancy which will need regular antenatal visits to your gynecologist.

Hope this answer is helpful.

Do accept the answer in case there are no further queries.