Had kidney stones, urine test positive. Been in ER. Guide

Dec 2012

I had kidney stones and I had a urine test come up positive for cocaine even thou I do not use. I am a male 50 yrs old. I have been in ER's for the pain prior to the operation. I have Rx's for various pain meds plus have been given shots for the pain to subside ASAP.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 6 hours later

Is your worry about the pain or gettng rid of the kidney stone. Well it is rare to find cocaine in urine sample if you are not a natural user but possible that cocaine from naturally occuring substances or meals or even drugs could have been poorly excreted by your kidney thus accumulation could make cocaine detectable.
As for the pain you will need to take a lot of fluids mostly water (after making sure via lab tests that your kidney functiins are fine), take antispasmodic drugs like hyoscin/buscopan or spasfon together with a pain med.
You will also need a urologist to evaluate you in case you may require a surgery.

Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: Had kidney stones, urine test positive. Been in ER. Guide 3 hours later
Your answer has no real answer as I have had the operation already as I have said in 1st part of question. I have a Urologist and have been treated for the stones for past 4.5 months, I need answer for urine test on cocaine.I am looking at losing my job due to this false positive.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 31 hours later

Sorry I am sure you did not simply understand me. I did say it is possible to detect cocaine in urine only if there is sufficient concentration. You need to check on the medications you have been using recently (if any) and find out if any are of cocaine origin then you will find the source. Normally cocaine should not be found in urine if you are not a user. I suggest you redo another urine analysis. Then blood analysis should also be conducted to try identify traces of cocaine. Note that some drugs might make urine test read positive for ilicit drugs. You need to seek your doctor's direct opinion in the matter.

Hope I am little clear now.

Dr. Nsah