Had kidney stone, removed with shock wave therapy but again getting stomach pain. Suggest?

good evening
iam XXXXXXX this is the problem about my mother she had problem in her kidney small piece of stone but they did shooting and removing the stone but somne time for her stomach pain they did shooting that place also some time paining please give precaution for my mother about food also
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See detailed answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thank you for sending in your query.

From your description it appears that your mother had a kidney stone which was treated by surgical intervention. I assume that by shooting you mean shock wave therapy.

If she has pain again we have to rule out a recurrence of the stone. This can be done by doing an ultrasound or preferably a CT Scan of the kidneys, ureter and bladder.

We have to do some blood and urine tests to determine if your mother has any condition which predisposes her to stone formation.

The tests to do include blood urea, creatinine, calcium, phosphorus and uric acid levels. In addition we should do a 24 hour urine collection for Calcium, citrate, uric acid, oxalate, magnesium, pH and creatinine.

Based on the results of these tests we can provide specific dietary advice.

Till we get the above results we can take the following precautions to prevent recurrent stones:
1) Drink plenty of fluids (at least 2.5-3.0 L/day). She has to drink water at night time as well. The fluid intake may be increased in summer season.

2) She should cut back on salty foods (chips, pickles, bakery products etc.), meat (if you are a non vegetarian), oxalate containing foods (spinach, almonds, cashew nuts etc). She should increase the intake of fruits and can eat dairy products in usual amounts.

As I said once we have the results of the urine tests we will be able to provide more specific advice on food items to eat and those to be avoided.

Just one more thing: when the 24 hour urine collection is being done, the patient should eat or drink as per her daily routine (i.e., no dietary restrictions or excess water for 2-3 days prior to testing and on the day of testing).

Hope this was helpful
Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.

Dr. Aditya Bhabhe