Had keyhole surgery for appendicitis. Having diarrhea. What is the reason?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I had keyhole surgery for appendicitis saturday 9th of March, 2013. last week I was fine, but since sunday, i have had diarhea - I am going to the bathroom 4-5 times per day. When I need to go - I cannot control it - I have to run to the toilet. I have never had this problem. I am planning to go to my GP who should have all my information from the surgery this week. Is this a side effect of this type of surgery (I am female and 56 years old and pretty fit).
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 40 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX
Yes, it is common after appendectomy because appendix is part of small intestine and temporary bowel motion disorders are often noticed after open and laparoscopic appendectomy as well. This should concern you. It is much better that you have diarhea than opstipation which can be sign of something more serious.
Usually it takes less than 1 month for bowel function to stabilize. Also if you have fever, cramps in abdomen and stinky, mucous stool then classic gastroenteritis must be considered. No matter what it is you need to treat it by keeping yourself hydrated, eating foods sucj as toast, plain rice, boiled potatoes, bananas, applesauce, cooked carrots and baked chicken. ALso avoid foods that are high in sugar, high in fiber or high in fat, that contain a lot of spices or diary. Also avoid food or beverages that contain alcohol or caffeine because of their diarrhetic effect.

I wish i ve been helpful. If you have any question please let me know

Follow-up: Had keyhole surgery for appendicitis. Having diarrhea. What is the reason? 2 hours later
thank you for your diagnosis. I do not have gastroenteritis. I do not have fever either. I will keep an eye on it and maybe report to my GP next week if it is still continuing. My diet is no different than usual - I do get abdominal pains similar to when I used to have my monthly periods. So I dont know if this means anything.

thanks again. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 14 minutes later
Well it can be gynaecologic problem also, but most important is that we exclude surgery complication which are rare but can be serious. These complication would go with more intensive pain and high febrility associated with pain at the area of surgery. If you notice any of these then ultrasound should be done. Diarrhea isnt problem if you restore fluid and food loss. Also I forgot to say if you have been taken antibiotics after surgery it can also be cause of diarrhea.
Wish you luck.