Had keyhole appendectomy. Have constipation, erection problems, testicle pain. What can I do to help prevent DVT?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

I had a keyhole appendectomy 48 hours ago. I have a few concerns.

1. I was sent home shortly after the surgery, still being a wimp I never checked the incisions, why is there the two middle ones and one to the left, not to the right? I am sure my appendix was on the right!

2. Constapation, I only had two hyrdromorphone shots and a general anaesthetic, and even with stool softeners, dulcolax and fibre suppliments I still cannot go! I have been eating well to keep up my strength and I am feeling very full! Is 48 hours normal, I am walking alot and sitting on the toilet with my feet raised to help (until my legs no numb, then I have to give up).

3. Erections problems/testicle pain. I have not been able to achieve an erection (not that I am in a fit state for sex) - this has concerned me! If I get a slighty twinge of an erection, it feels like my testicles are being pulled upwards! That is a disconcerting feeling. I am hoping it is trauma related.

I have to fly in 72 hours on a 3.5 hour flight, then again 2 days later on a 16 hour flight, apart from regular exercising of my calfs and flight socks - what else can I do to help prevent DVT? I will ask the flight attendant to wake me hourly if I fall asleep to remind me to stretch (and pester to be bumped to business so I am more comfortable around the incision sites).

Any help appreciated.
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later

Thanks for writing in

Please find the reply to your queries :
1] Yes the appendix is on the right side of the body but to get enough space to operate the incision is put on the left side
2] Constipation is secondary to postoperative ileus and should pass off, do not put in extra efforts, take plenty of fluids and lot of fiber
3] Erections too will come on in a day or two, it is a normal phenomenon

Exercising calfs and Flight socks is enough, no need to wake up every hour, exercise as and when you wake up and that should be OK

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon